In keeping with the Italian theme this week, we are going to talk about paleo lasagna! It’s easy, it’s good, it’s something you should try for sure!!!!
~ Meat Sauce. Use this for other Italian dishes!
- 1 lb grassfed ground beef
- 1 lb ground pork
- 1 sweet onion, finely diced
- 4-5 cloves garlic minced
- 16 oz diced/crushed tomatoes
- 16 oz tomato sauce
- 8 oz tomato paste
- 1 tbsp oregano
- 1 tbsp basil
- 2 tsp parsley
** Optional: wine, black olives, mushrooms, chopped spinach
~ Lasagna ‘Noodles’
- 1 large eggplant, peeled, quartered and sliced thin
~ Goat Cheese.
- 10-16 oz of goat cheese. Make sure you are purchasing a legit brand of goat cheese. Some are mixed with regular milk (no bueno!)
~ Other Ingredients.
- 9×13 baking dish
- 2 tbsp olive oil
1) In a large sauce pan, saute the onions in 2 tbsp olive oil for about 4-5 minutes until the start to look translucent.
2) Add the garlic, stirring frequently (2-3 minutes) – garlic burns easily!
3) Turn the heat up to medium, and add the ground beef and ground pork. Cook until it is browned all the way through.
4) Drain the meat/garlic/onion mixture in the sink. Then add back to the pan.
5) Add all the tomato products, spices, and any extras (see optionals list).
6) Stir thoroughly until everything is incorporated really well. Turn the heat source to low, and let cook while you are prepping everything else.
7) While the sauce is cooking (20-25 minutes, but the longer the better!) – peel and quarter your eggplant.
8) Once the eggplant is quartered, slice very thinly – if using a mandolin be careful of your fingers – I sliced through my thumb in this process.
9) Preheat the oven to 350 degrees, spray or rub olive oil all in your 9×13 pan so the eggplant doesn’t stick.
10) Begin layering eggplant slices to the bottom of the baking dish.
11) Next, turn the heat off your meat sauce, and begin layering the meat sauce on top of the eggplant. Keep an eye on the meat sauce as you will need approximately 3 equal portions per layer – don’t go crazy with the first layer.
12) Top the meat sauce with the goat cheese – again you will need three equal portions of goat cheese for each layer. It will look something like this \/
13) Continue the layers (3 total) until finished. Pop in the oven, uncovered, at 350 for approximately 1 hour. Put your timer on for 45 minutes and check it then as all ovens are slightly different.
** It will be done when the cheese is a golden brown on top. See finished lasagna below.
Enjoy with a glass of red wine :-)