I haven’t posted in a while…..quite frankly I’ve had really amazing down time with my family and have been researching a couple things. I’ll be posting some information and thoughts on my research coming up. But just to forewarn the guys, it’s totally girly stuff….
Last week, I made this really amazing stuffed acorn squash. I actually didn’t end up putting the stuffing back in the squash because it made so much and once I scraped all the squash out the shell was pretty wrecked! I did, however, have it with fried eggs every morning last week for breakfast and it was a nice change from the standard eggs and bacon or egg muffin/casserole.
Stuffed Acorn Squash.
- 1 acorn squash (cut in 1/2 and bake at 350 for approx 1 hr covered in foil)
- 1 lb of rosemary sausage
- 10 oz of kale, chopped
- 1 apple, diced (I prefer Pink Ladies or Honeycrisp)
- 1 tsp thyme
- S&P to taste.
1) While you are baking the acorn squash, go ahead and brown the sausage in a large saucepan.
2) Once the sausage is mostly browned, drain and put back on the stove.
3) Keep the heat on low/medium and add the kale.
4) While you are cooking the sausage and kale (allowing it to wilt a bit), dice the apple and add to the saucepan.
5) Turn the pan off once the kale is cooked down.
6) When the acorn squash is ready, carefully remove from the oven and scour and scrape the contents of the squash (not the seeds!)
7) Add squash and thyme/S&P to the kale and sausage pan.
8) Heat on medium for about 10 minutes, stirring frequently.
9) If using right then, you can place in a fall serving bowl – it will look super cute. Or separate into containers for the week, just add eggs every morning for breakfast.
*This dish can be used at breakfast, lunch, or dinner. And for those of you that eat the larger portion of your breakfast post morning workout, this has some carbs, protein, and fat in it = winning
Today I leave you with: